Welcome to the Uasin Gishu County Assembly Website!
We should look at the website as a platform to interact with the County Assembly and as a source of information, from the County Assembly Information Desk. We are proud to bask in the limelight as the Best Ranked County Assembly in passing of Bills and Motions, Youthful Representation of Members of County Assemblies and a commendable harmonious working relationship with the Executive Arm of Government.
Efficient devolution and prosperity is credited to the youthful leadership and inclusive public participation. We therefore urge the over one million residents of Uasin Gishu County to engage County Assembly as it discharges its Constitutional Mandate of Representation, Legislation and Oversight.
The Office of the Speaker
Article 177(1)(d) of the Constitution provides that there shall be a Speaker for the County Assembly who shall be the exofficio elected by the Assembly from among persons who are not members of the assembly.
Roles and Functions of Office of the Speaker of the County Assembly
The Speaker of the County Assembly shall have the following duties and responsibilities:-
- Article 178 of the Constitution provides that "at every sitting of a County Assembly the Speaker presides"
- The Speaker of the County Assembly shall preside over all debates of the County Assembly and enforces the observance of the Constitution, the Standing Orders, relevant statute and County Assembly traditions, procedures and practices;
- The Speaker administers the oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members and issues writs for vacant County Assembly seats;
- The Speaker protects the rights of the minority while making sure that the majority have their way;
- Organizing the business of the County Assembly as he/she is the Chairman of the County Assembly Business Committee;
- Spokesperson of the County Assembly and shall ensure that the dignity of the County Assembly and by extension, County Assembly, is upheld and its rights and privileges are not abused;
- The Speaker is the final authority on all matters touching on the interpretation and application of the practice and procedure of County Assembly at all times.